Your essential guide to heat pumps
A reliable, renewable, energy-efficient system for domestic heating, cooling and hot water
If we are going to meet the Government’s Climate Action targets, it is vital that we upgrade Ireland’s housing stock to minimise the greenhouse gas emissions from heating our homes. Retrofitting heat pumps in houses around the country can help us to achieve this goal.
- More than 11% of Ireland’s greenhouse gas emissions is generated by the residential sector
- Irish homes use more high-carbon fuels for heating than our EU neighbours
- Many Irish homes, especially older buildings, are also poorly insulated
- The Climate Action Plan (2019) calls for a 40% reduction in residential CO2 emissions
- To reach that target, circa. 400,000 Irish homes are going to need to be retrofitted by 2030
- SEAI facilitates thousands of home energy upgrades every year
- By 2025, almost 90% of all retrofits will involve installing a heat pump
An air source heat pump generates 3kW of renewable energy for every 1kW of electricity the system consumes.
“My house is warm and comfortable all the time now”
Heat pumps are an efficient, reliable and sustainable way of heating your home. An air source heat pump extracts energy from the utdoor air and transfers it inside the home to provide heating and hot water all year round. Daikin heat pumps are manufactured in Europe and are suitable for Irish homes and Irish weather.
- A heat pump is an electrical device that transfers heat from one place to another
- An air source heat pump extracts energy from the outdoor air
- It transfers this energy inside the home for heating and hot water
- Air-to-air heat pumps also work as air-conditioners, providing cooling as well as heat
- Heat pumps work all year round, even in sub-zero temperatures down to -25°C
- Heat pumps work very well with radiators and under-floor heating
- For every 1kW of electricity used, a Daikin heat pump generates 3kW of useful energy from the outside air – that’s 3kW of free renewable energy
Heat pumps are highly energy-efficient and economical as they use less energy to run. They are practical and versatile, providing reliable heating and hot water all year round. And of course, because they run on mostly renewable energy, they are sustainable and environmentally-friendly.
- Use less energy to run than oil/gas boilers
- Generate renewable energy from the air
- Combine with solar PV/insulation for further efficiency
- Cost less to run than gas/oil systems
- Improve your BER rating / property value
- No more oil/gas bills!
- Provide heating and hot water
- Consistent, reliable heat
- No need to turn on immersion!
- No fossil fuel involved
- Renewable energy (air) for sustainable living
- Reduce carbon emissions
““The big difference is the reduction in energy consumption””
Around Ireland, there is a network of local heat pump installers who are your first port of call. Your local installer will guide you through the entire process, helping with the paperwork, managing the installation works, and explaining how to get the most out of your new heating system.
- Daikin has an extensive network of approved installers around Ireland
- Choose an installer who can manage your retrofit from start to finish
- Process starts with a technical assessment of your home
- Your local installer will guide you through the options – heat pump, insulation, solar PV, etc
- Annual maintenance reminders so you never miss a service